Mold From Ongoing Minor or Hidden Water Damage
Virtually everyone has some type of mold or another somewhere in their home. Although not all types are toxic, it is sometimes difficult to distinguish types without lab testing. Black molds can develop from water intrusion like water seepage, improper drainage and irrigation, plumbing leaks, rain and condensation issues. While toxic mold is less common than other mold species, it is not rare. For that reason, it is imperative to treat and remove all molds as if they are potentially harmful. Regardless of the type of mold found, a home containing mold is essentially not a healthy home.
Exterior Water Intrusion
Mold can grow on any wet building materials. Once it is discovered, it must be addressed quickly and appropriately. Delayed or improper treatment of mold issues can multiply repair costs significantly.
When building materials such as wood siding, brick, concrete block and stucco are exposed to moisture sources from outdoors, over time
that moisture can penetrate exterior walls and enter the wall cavity, creating perfect conditions for mold growth in between exterior and interior walls.
Eventually the moisture and mold can penetrate all the way through to the interior side of wall surfaces. By that time, extensive damage to the structure has already taken place.
Water and Mold Cleanup and Repair
Begin any cleanup by drying your home, including removing any water-damaged items to help facilitate drying. Water-damaged walls and floorboards will need to be thoroughly dried, and drywall will likely have to be thrown away. All wet insulation, carpet, and similar items will also have to be thrown away. If you are cleaning personal items, there will be some hard choices to make. Cloth materials can normally be cleaned by laundering them several times to remove the impact of the water. Many other porous items, such as couches, stuffed animals, papers, and some older pictures, will have to be thrown away if they have been in the water for longer than 48 hours. Remember, it is better to throw something away than have it become a source of mold in the future.
The long-term health issues associated with mold can be reduced by ensuring that a proper cleanup is done. If you suspect you have a mold problem from hidden water damage, it is always best to hire a qualified and experienced specialist that is knowledgeable in the latest water extraction and drying methods.
If your home was flooded for longer than 48 hours, you will probably need to consult a Certified (IICRC) Water Damage Restoration Professional. A proper inspection can help detect water intrusion issues early, saving thousands of dollars in repairs costs.
Some of this information was quoted from an article called “Is Indoor Mold Contamination a Threat to Health?” by Harriet M. Ammann, Ph.D., D.A.B.T. – Senior Toxicologist at Washington State Department of Health, Olympia, Washington.
Is Indoor Mold Contamination a Threat to Health.pdf Download
Or for a full copy of her report in Microsoft Word format CLICK HERE