Water and Flood Damage Equipment Rental MN
Frozen Pipes and Water Restoration Tips
The cold winter freeze we have been experiencing here in Minnesota has brought a lot of hazards, and at top of the list is frozen pipes because of the serious damage they can bring to your home or business. When water freezes in a pipe it expands and can exert pressure up to 2,000 pounds per square inch. When ice forms in has no nowhere to expand and so the pipe ruptures. A pipe burst can spill several hundred gallons of water per hour leaving a home or business in shambles.
Pipes are most susceptible to freezing when located in an outside wall, under a sink, or in an unheated or non insulated crawlspace. If a pipe happens to burst here are some key water restoration tips that can save your valuables and money.
Water Restoration Tips
- Mop and blot everywhere to remove as much excess water as possible.
- Pay careful attention while wiping water from wood furniture or floors.
- Set your wet upholstery cushions somewhere where they can dry evenly.
- Prop up your furniture legs so that they are no longer in contact with wet floor. Try using some wood blocks.
- For maximum drying in the winter open up the windows.
- Wipe out drawers and cabinets and blot them as well.
- Put all valuable paintings and photos in a safe place.
- If there is tons of water, your carpet most likely is destroyed. However, try blotting them with clean towels.
- Drag suitcases and any other cloth containers and open them outside so they can try in the sun.
- If water is collected in the ceilings you may need to punch small holes to relieve the trapped water.
Prevent Water Damage
To prevent even more costly water damages from occurring it is vital to have the water cleaned up and structures dried immediately. If you decide to take on the mess alone, make sure you have the right equipment to do the job yourself.
If the water damage is extensive, your best bet is to call a Minnesota restoration company for Water and Flood Damage Cleanup. They will have the right kind of equipment, such as powerful water sucking vacuums that can save most valuables.
You may also read: Prevent Water Damage From Burst Pipes